I’ve been working in the field of sexuality as a writer, editor, counselor, teacher, community volunteer and entrepreneur for more than thirty years.
Here’s some of what I’ve done:
• Founded Down There Press in 1975 and Good Vibrations in 1977
• Wrote and/or edited nine books.
• Produced and directed two videos
• Invented the Butterfly Vibrator and Titattoos (now Intimate Art Tattoos)
• Trained and worked at the Sex Counseling Unit at The
University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
• Was a volunteer counselor at San Francisco Sex Information working at the switchboard every Friday evening for the first several years of its existence.
• Taught sexuality courses in the Evening College at
Skyline College in San Bruno, CA
• Served on the Board of Directors of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS), publisher of the Journal of Sex Research.
• Facilitated numerous sexuality workshops. I continue to be interested in many aspects of sexuality: understanding eroticism, self-sexuality/masturbation, polyamory, and sexuality education for adults.
I have attended many regional and annual conferences of SSSS. In 1999 I attended the biennial meeting of the World Association for Sexual Health, which met for the first time in Hong Kong. Six years later, I traveled to the beautiful city of Montreal and attended the WAS conference there. Then in April of 2007 I went to the WAS meeting in Sydney Australia, realizing a long-held dream
to travel to the continent down under.
With my friend Scott Cooper, I created Titattoos (TIT-tat-toos), temporary tattoos designed to be worn on the breast, though they look great on the navel too). See the many designs and order these fun tattoos here.
From time to time I have solicited first person narratives/stories for a book, tentatively titled The Open Couple. It would feature narratives by people who’ve made polyamory work for themselves for 10 years or more, with special attention to how they’ve negotiated, nurtured and managed secondary relationships while maintaining and strengthening their primary partnership. I don’t know if this book will ever materialize, but if I get enough stories, perhaps I’ll be inspired to create an online presence for them. You can send me your story here.